Histor. performance: +168%
Animoca Brands is a Hong Kong company founded by Yat Siu in 2011. The company develops and distributes free games and applications. The focus is on licensing of well-known brands, blockchain and artificial intelligence.
The company is the developer of NFT games like F1 Delta Time, The Sandbox and others. It is actively investing in the non-fungible token market, including OpenSea, Dapper Labs, Bitski, Star Atlas, and Axie Infinity.
Official website: www.animocabrands.com
HQ: Hong Cong
Financial metrics of Animoca Brands
- Total funding: $750 million
- Last funding round: $110 million
- Last round valuation: $5,9 billion
- Last round date: September 2022
- Lead investors: Accel, 500 Startups, Intel, Huobi Capital, RIT Capital, Coinbase, Samsung, Sequoia
Animoca Brands — Investment Opportunity
- In September 2022, Animoca Brands announced it raised $110 million by issuing convertible notes ($5.9 billion valuation). The deal involved existing and new investors, including Singapore sovereign fund Temasek, American venture capital fund GGV Capital, Chinese private equity company Boyu Capital.
- In July 2022, the company raised $75 million at a valuation of $5.9 billion. The company was backed by current investors Liberty City Ventures, Kingsway Capital, and 10T Holdings, among others. Earlier, in January 2022, investors provided $359 million to the company.
- In 2021, Animoca Brands announced a number of major investment rounds. In May, the developer raised $88.9 million from the Rothschild dynasty fund RIT Capital Partners, Huobi, and other investors, in July — $50 million, in October — $65 million at a $2.2 billion valuation.
- Animoca Brands will use capital to fund strategic investments and acquisitions, product development, and intellectual property licensing.
- In total, the company acquired 21 startups in the fields of gaming and educational technology.
- Animoca Brands is the largest investor in blockchain projects in Asia, with a portfolio of more than 340 companies with a total valuation of $1.5+ billion.
- In 2020, the company generated revenue of $49 AUD million, and in 2021 was able to increase this figure to $184 AUD million.
- The company also invests in crypto assets, the total portfolio was valued at $697 million at the beginning of 2021.
Web3 Venture funding
Web3 startups have received $16 billion in venture capital funding since the start of 2022, according to Crunchbase. For comparison, for the entire record last year, investments amounted to $33 billion, in 2020 – $5 billion, in 2019 – $4 billion.
Leading VC fund Andreeseen Horowitz/ a16z recently raised $4.5 billion in its new Web3-focused fund.
Founder of Animoca Brands
Yat Siu is the founder and CEO, was previously Director and Head of East Coast Operations at Lexicor, and was a system integrator at AT&T Solutions.
Prior to Animoca Brands, Yat Siu founded Outblaze, a cloud-based startup that offered email, file, and app hosting. Yat Siu is currently the opinion leader in blockchain games.
Animoca Brands is in a late stage of development and has a diversified income. At the current rate of growth, the company could raise several more funding rounds before going public. In the next rounds, Animoca Brands could be valued at $8 – $9 billion.
It is worth considering that Animoca Brands was already a public company and was traded on the Australian Stock Exchange. However, due to activity with cryptocurrencies in 2020, the company decided to delist.